This book discusses about the effects of global warming.
This book discusses the effects of global warming.
Discuss 是及物動詞，所以不可以加 about.
1. My therapist（[心理]治療師）discussed my concerns with my parents.
2. Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. -- Eleanor Roosevelt (1884 - 1962)
(1) Emphasize 不要加 on!
Professor Koss emphasized on punctuality in his class.
Professor Koss emphasized punctuality in his class.
1. Emphasize 是及物動詞，後面直接加受詞。
2. 也可用 put emphasis on 或 put stress on …
A true friend knows your weaknesses but shows you your strengths; feels your fears but fortifies (加強) your faith; sees your anxieties but frees your spirit; recognizes your disabilities but emphasizes your possibilities. -- William Arthur Ward
(1) 「抵達」Arrive + at (不及物)；Reach + O. (及物)
My flight will reach at London at 9:00 am.
My flight will reach London at 9:00 am.
1. arrive 和reach 都表示「抵達」的意思：reach 是及物動詞，不需要加介系詞；arrive 是不及物動詞，如果要接受詞一定要加介系詞 (at or in)。
2. 註：reach 當不及物動詞的意思是「伸手(以接觸 sb 或拿 sth)」。如片語reach out to (主動了解、接觸 sb)； reach for (the star, the top)
1. Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive.
-- Anaïs Nin （每個朋友在我們心中是一個世界，這個世界要等他／她們到了，才會產生。）
2. If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion.
-- George Bernard Shaw （如果把所有經濟學家頭尾相接，他們也不會做出結論的。）
I try to avoid looking backward and keep looking upward. -- Charlotte Bronte (1816 - 1855)
(2) prefer +Ving (N) + to Ving (N); prefer + to V. + rather than + 原形 V
On such a cold day, I prefer going out than staying at home.
On such a cold day, I prefer going out to staying at home.
1. Prefer + V-ing1 to V-ing2 寧願 V-ing1，也不要(願) V-ing2
2. 這個用法的 to 是介系詞，所以後面的動詞 (V2) 要改成動名詞
3. 也可寫成 prefer to + 原形V rather than + 原形V
I prefer tongue-tied knowledge to ignorant loquacity. -- Cicero (106 BC - 43 BC) 我喜歡謹慎結舌的知識，而不喜歡無知的口若懸河。
(2) Spend (time) + Ving
I spent much of my college life to explore the field of linguistics, and found I really liked it.
I spent much of my college life exploring the field of linguistics, and found I really liked it.
1. spend 後面接的動作要用動名詞，因為省略了介係詞 in ；
3. 用法：人+ spend + 時間/金錢 + (in) + V-ing / on + 名詞。
1. My father is not willing to spend too much money on a new car he is planning to buy.
2. Lose an hour in the morning, and you will spend all day looking for it. -- Richard Whately
(2) stop + V-ing / stop + to V 意義不同
I can't stop to eat because I am so hungry.
I can't stop eating because I am so hungry.
1. stop + V-ing 表達的是停止 V-ing 這個動作﹔
2. stop + to V 表達的是停下來，去做 V 這個動作﹔
3. 補充：forget + V-ing 表示忘記做過什麼事﹔ forget + to V 表示忘記去做V這個動作﹔
4. 同理，remember + Ving 表示記得做過什麼事 (已做了)﹔ remember + to V 表示記得要去做 V 這個動作 (未做)。
While we stop to think, we often miss our opportunity. -- Publilius Syrus (~100 BC)
(3) 動詞＋介系詞 hear of/hear from/hear about
My sister still hasn't heard from the car accident, because my mother didn't want her to know.
My sister still hasn't heard about the car accident, because my mother didn't want her to know.
1. hear from 表示收到…的信
2. hear about 表示聽到…消息，聽說… hear about = hear the current news/story/gossip concerning.
3. heard of = am aware of ; I'd never heard of that jazz singer before, but she was very good. (否定：容許) She wouldn't hear of their paying their own way.
4. 註(1)：hear 感官動詞 + Ving or 原形 V.
5. 註(2)：動詞接不同介系詞意義不同的例子很多﹔如care for (喜歡) care about （在乎）和take care of (照顧)都不同。
As soon as I hear from him, I will let you know.
(3) Think/Hope 的否定形式
1. I don't hope you will go there. 我希望你不會去那裡。
2. I think you will not make it. 我想你不會成功。
1. I hope you won't go there.
2. I don't think you can make it.
在否定句中， not 不可以放在 hope 之前。但是如果動詞是 think, believe, imagine, suppose, expect 時，則 not 要放在動詞之前。
1. The party yesterday went like clockwork; I don't think you could have organized it better.
2. I hope the leaving (意指死亡) is joyful, and I hope never to return. -- Frida Kahlo
New Years Resolutions for Internet Junkies
12. I will read the manual... just as soon as I can find it.
11. I will think of a password other than "password."
10. I will try to figure out why I "really" need 12 e-mail addresses.
9. I will stop sending e-mail to my wife (husband). A phone call every now and then would be appreciated.
8. I resolve to work with neglected children -- my own.
7. I will answer my snail mail with the same enthusiasm with which I answer my e-mail.
6. I will stop sending e-mail, ICQ, Instant Messages and be on the phone at the same time with the same person.
5. I resolve to back up my 12GB hard drive daily...well, once a week...okay, monthly then...or maybe... at least once a year.
4. I will spend less than one hour a day on the Internet - This, of course, will be hard to estimate since I'm not a clock watcher.
3. I will stop checking my e-mail at 3:00 in the morning... 4:30 is much more practical since my friends overseas already had time to answer me by then.
2. When I hear a funny joke, I will not reply, "LOL... LOL!"
1. I resolve... I resolve to... I resolve to, uh... I resolve to, uh, get my, er... I resolve to, uh, get my, er, off-line work done, too!
Internet Junkie (網路迷); TV junkie, Sports junkie, or drug addict.
7. snail mail = regular postal mail (蝸牛郵件); with enthusiasm 熱忱